EMBOSS is a free Open Source software analysis package specially developed for the needs of the molecular biology (e.g. EMBnet) user community. The software automatically copes with data in a variety of formats and even allows transparent retrieval of sequence data from the web. Also, as extensive libraries are provided with the package, it is a platform to allow other scientists to develop and release software in true open source spirit. EMBOSS also integrates a range of currently available packages and tools for sequence analysis into a seamless whole. EMBOSS breaks the historical trend towards commercial software packages.
Within EMBOSS you will find around hundreds of programs (applications) covering areas such as:
- Sequence alignment,
- Rapid database searching with sequence patterns,
- Protein motif identification, including domain analysis,
- Nucleotide sequence pattern analysis---for example to identify CpG islands or repeats,
- Codon usage analysis for small genomes,
- Rapid identification of sequence patterns in large scale sequence sets,
- Presentation tools for publication,
and much more.
module add emboss-6.5.7 embossdata
or other binary (see Documentation).